Only signed artists need live music photographers, don't they?
20 years ago that may have been the case as live music photography was primarily used for album covers, fan merchandise and press marketing.
Now any band, duo or solo performer can have their own Social Media page and free website making self-promotion not only possible but an essential part of marketing yourselves to potential venues and getting people to your shows.
However live music photography does come with it's own special challenges: lighting that alternates between almost none to dazzling, subjects who very rarely stay still for long enough to allow a long exposure time, the inability to use your flash, positioning so you can get great shots without putting off the performer/s and negotiating an audience.
It is the offbeat photos that help to convey the energy and atmosphere of a gig such as the reactions of the audience or the looks between the musicians (especially when one has just 'gone off-piste') and having a partner in a rock covers band I not only have lots of experience shooting in low light conditions but have also learned to pick up on those little cues on stage to know when a great shot is just about to happen.
If you're a band/artist who mainly performs in pubs and small venues I am also aware of how little you are paid for your efforts, but as live music photography is one of my favourite photo shoots to do I am more than happy to discuss reducing the editing or gig time (ie just shooting the first set) to help bring the costs down to within your budget.
Note to Venues: having a photographer capture the live music events you hold is also a great way to promote your 'Gig Nights' and can be tailored to focus more on the audience and the great time they are having!
A typical Live Music Photography Shoot covers:
- Attendance at the gig location. I will arrive well in advance to go through the set with you to highlight any particular shots you would like.
- My time spent selecting the best images from the session and digitally perfecting each individual image.
- A private online gallery of all the images in low resolution so anyone you chose can view them quickly. (Available for 30 days.)
- Digital copies of all the images taken resized ready for use on your website, Facebook, Instagram etc available for you to download via Dropbox.
- Full resolution digital files for printing, promotions etc provided on request (the file size of each original image can be upwards of 25Mb so you only need storage space for the ones you will actually have printed)
- Storage of your images for a minimum of 2 years.
Check out my Gallery pages for samples of recent shoots.
Costs are based on location, shoot/editing time and image use.