These prices are only a guide.
Images are assessed and priced once I have received the photograph/scan as not all images can be set to any one category, but it is best to keep in mind that the more badly damaged the photograph, the longer the restoration process will take, and therefore the higher the price. Even 'simple' photographs of a single person can take 3-4 hours to restore and colour.
All work will be carried out only when the costs have been discussed and agreed. Prices include a high resolution image file of the completed photograph but do not include the cost of any physical prints.
Colouring is a seperate cost and is always done after the restoration.
- Carefully clean off any surface dust (a soft makeup brush is ideal for this)
- Ensure you image is laid flat on the scanner
- Even if your photograph is black and white or sepia chose the 'colour photograph' mode. If possible, scan as 16-bit colour ('high bit colour mode' - you should be able to find this out from your scanner's manual or Google!)
- Scan in high resolution; images should be scanned at a minimum of 300Dpi (dots per inch). For smaller images, the Dpi will need to be higher. As a general rule, measure the shortest side of the image. Then, starting with a figure of 2400Dpi, divide this by 2 for every increase in 2 inches. For example, 1-2inches = 2400Dpi, 3-4inches = 1200Dpi, 5-6inches = 600Dpi - but never go below 300Dpi.
- Use 'optical resolution' not 'interpolated'.
- Do not use the 'Quick Scan' button - the default settings on this option will produce a low-quality scan. Once you have entered your settings above use the 'Scan' option on your software rather than the button on the machine as it will reset to default and undo all your changes.
- Save your file as a low compression JPG or a TIFF file which has no compression.
- Once you have your saved file attach it to an email - do not embed it by dragging and dropping as this can affect the received quality.
Local Collection/Return Service
If you do not have a scanner or cannot otherwise provide a high quality digital file of your photograph I offer a collection and return service for all 'S' postcodes which is charged at 50p per mile each way.